Facebook has changed the way you create ads.
Some of the changes involve the layout of ad creation itself, but there are some other, more subtle, changes as well.
Facebook wants you to focus more on your objective.
Why The Change?
This is a move by Facebook to try and stem the rumours making their way around the internet about how ineffective Facebook ads are (I don’t agree with this by the way – it all depends on your target audience and your business). They are doing this in two ways:
- Forcing people to think about what they want to do with their ad;
- Increasing ad clicks by targeting people more likely to click
It’s this last reason that worries me.
What Have They Done?
When creating your ad you will see a new section called “Objective”. This is where you set your goal for your ad or sponsored story:
- If you are advertising promoting a Page, you can decide to show your ad or sponsored story to people who are more likely to like your Page, or to people who are more likely to click on your ad or sponsored story
- If you are promoting an app, you can decide to show your ad or sponsored story to people who are more likely to install your app or click on your ad or sponsored story
- If you are promoting an external URL, your objective will automatically be to get clicks on your ad.
Depending on what you select, Facebook will show your ad to the people most likely to take the action you selected.
So, if you goal is to get Page likes, then Facebook will show your ad to people more likely to Like pages.
This is no doubt, Facebook’s way to boost engagement on its ads, and to keep people from whinging about Facebook ads “not working”.
In my mind however, this is a double-edged sword, at best.
Facebook will be showing your ad to people who are more likely to engage in it, but isn’t the idea of an ad to get people who are less likely to notice your product or brand to notice it? Well, at least sometimes it is.
If you are just serving ads up to people who are more inclined to interact with it, then you are cutting out a very large section of your potential audience.
It will be interesting to see how this change pans out. I know I will be keeping a close eye on the analytics.
Do you think the changes will affect you?